Wednesday, July 17, 2013

It's Been a While But I Feel Compelled............

It has been a while since I have posted anything to this blog but in light of the recent events, I feel compelled to share my feelings. The verdict does not bother me. The news coverage does not bother me. Even some of the testimonies of the jurors after the trial does not bother me. The thing that bothers me the most is the perception of some of a 17 year old child. A lot of people are saying on mutliple blogs and comment sections of articles that he was not a child. He should not have attacked Zimmerman or  he attacked him and he got what he deserved. It deeply saddens me to hear these sort of things. I was very upset at first but now I am just sad. It has come to the point that a black 17 year old kid is viewed as an equal life threat to a 29 year old man that is carrying a gun. Again, the perception of some is the thing that saddens me the most. For some, there is no empathy or benefit of the doubt for a 17 year old black kid versus an adult. For some, there is no expectation for a 29 year old man with a gun to make better decisions than a 17 year old kid without a gun. Nobody deserves to be attacked, everybody has the right to defend themselves but in my humble opinion, nobody deserved to die in that situation. I think so many people are pre-programmed to believe what George Zimmerman did is normal that it has become normal and that is the problem.





No comments:

Post a Comment