Thursday, September 10, 2009

Mercy, Mercy, Me

One night, while working in my assigned area, I turned onto a main street and guns shots rang out. Believing my partner and I were under fire, I stopped in the middle of the street to determine the gun shots' origin and whether or not we needed to shoot back. Well after realizing we weren't the targets, I continued to scan the area for the origin of the shots, and observed a young, black male firing in the direction of several other young, black males who were standing at the nearby intersection (that we noticed while fleeing). I then drove closer to the gunman, exited my vehicle and announced myself as a police officer. He then turned to flee and pointed his weapon at me, which made me lag further behind the guy because I had to duck for cover. To make a long story short, we eventually caught the gunman, which turned out to be a 15-year-old kid. We recovered his weapon, which was a handgun with an extended magazine (32 rounds).







While fleeing from us, the kid injured himself. I had to take him to the hospital, which is where I found out he was wanted for attempted murder and also that he had been shot in the face before. As a police officer, I can't tell you what I was thinking when I found out what kind of character I was dealing with.

My mind was running, wondering when did society lose this kid? Secondly, why was he shooting at the guys at the intersection? The scary and unbelievable part is that there are a lot more black males with this kid's mentality. Where did we go wrong? Is it even possible to prevent this wreckless mentality? I guess the real question is, does anyone give a shit?


No comments:

Post a Comment